Anti-Semitism on the net is “like a tsunami wave,” Knesset chairman MK Yoel Razbozov said during a hearing on online hate speech.
Razbozov called for countries to enact legislation restricting online hate, and warned that if Jews will not act to combat the spread of anti-Semitism online, they will eventually “find themselves in mortal danger.”
Representatives of the Foreign Ministry, the Ministry of Jerusalem and Diaspora Affairs, the Israeli Internet Association and the Anti-Defamation League, among other bodies, testified regarding the dangers of online hate and discussed methods of combating disinformation about Jews and Israel.
The Anti-Defamation League testified regarding its ongoing relationship with Internet hosting company GoDaddy to take down anti-Semitic websites, citing some 30 sites it said were taken down by the American company.
Facebook has also been working with the ADL, its representative said.
“Facebook is coming around, they just need time,” Ronald Eissens of the International Network Against Cyberhate added.
The World Zionist Organization established a communications center for combating hate online and is beginning two pilot courses for training Israelis to engage in this struggle, WZO Department for Countering Anti-Semitism chief Yaakov Hagoel told lawmakers.
“I don’t see us winning the battle but at least we are putting up a fight,” he said.
While combating disinformation with facts and taking anti-Semitism offline were both tactics discussed during the meeting, only the former will have any substantial impact, committee member MK Dov Lipman told The Jerusalem Post.
- World's second most-wanted alleged "Nazi war criminals" died in Canada
- Ice cream cone named after Adolf Hitler on sale in India sparks jewish outrage
- Kenyan Lawyer Wants to Buy Malia Obama for 50 Cows, 70 Sheep and 30 Goats
- Google apologizes after search results for “Nigger House” result in the White House
- Russian Teen Targeted by Investigators for "Glorifying Nazism"
- Study: White Resistance Increases as Minority Status Looms
- Russia’s Deputy PM: Europe will Collapse Under Gays and ISIS
- Boston: Hundreds rally after antisemitic pork dumped at Holocaust memorial
- Nethlerlands: Non-White invaders take to street demanding 'white' classmates for their children
- German Philosopher Giant Martin Heidegger Blamed Jews for 'Self-Destructing' in Holocaust
- “My Father Heinrich Himmler was Not a Monster”
- Anti-racism blogger charged with grooming nine-year-old girl and possessing child porn
- UK: National Socialist rally to go ahead in Jewish area as police left unable to stop them