Anti-Semitism on the net is “like a tsunami wave,” Knesset chairman MK Yoel Razbozov said during a hearing on online hate speech.
Razbozov called for countries to enact legislation restricting online hate, and warned that if Jews will not act to combat the spread of anti-Semitism online, they will eventually “find themselves in mortal danger.”
Representatives of the Foreign Ministry, the Ministry of Jerusalem and Diaspora Affairs, the Israeli Internet Association and the Anti-Defamation League, among other bodies, testified regarding the dangers of online hate and discussed methods of combating disinformation about Jews and Israel.
The Anti-Defamation League testified regarding its ongoing relationship with Internet hosting company GoDaddy to take down anti-Semitic websites, citing some 30 sites it said were taken down by the American company.
Facebook has also been working with the ADL, its representative said.
“Facebook is coming around, they just need time,” Ronald Eissens of the International Network Against Cyberhate added.
The World Zionist Organization established a communications center for combating hate online and is beginning two pilot courses for training Israelis to engage in this struggle, WZO Department for Countering Anti-Semitism chief Yaakov Hagoel told lawmakers.
“I don’t see us winning the battle but at least we are putting up a fight,” he said.
While combating disinformation with facts and taking anti-Semitism offline were both tactics discussed during the meeting, only the former will have any substantial impact, committee member MK Dov Lipman told The Jerusalem Post.
- VIDEO: See Europe's BIGGEST Menorah Set Up in Central Berlin
- German Anti-Muslim Demonstrations Drew 15,000 Yesterday (Up from 10,000 Last Week)
- Adolf Hitler Appears in Thai Video to Promote Values
- Daily Horror: Polish Kids to Get Nazi Legos for Christmas!
- Germany: "Neo-Nazis" Allegedly Burns Down Immigrant Housing
- Denmark: Patriotic Ethno-Nationalist Party in First Place
- Hunt for White Women: Black Racist Serial Killer Confesses to 41 Murders
- Support for Nationalists Swells in Sweden
- Far Eastern Trend: National Socialism on Rise in Japan
- New Type of Anti-Immigration Protest is Sweeping across Germany
- VIDEO: More than 7000 Germans March in Dresden against Immigration and the Islamification of Europe
- National Socialist Agenda Gains Ground in German Middle Class
- Afro-Jew Soccer Star Mario Balotelli under Probe for Anti-Semitic Post
- Militant Anti-Racist "Teaching Tolerance" Author Slaughtered in Racial Hate Crime Murder
- World’s "Most Wanted Nazi" Died in Syria 4 Years Ago, Investigator Reveals